You can blame this post on our recent reading. Both Peg and I recently read My Year of Meats by Ruth L Ozeki. The meat industry features strongly in this cleverly constructed novel — and to say that it hasn’t affected our feeling about eating meat would not be honest. Though we haven’t sworn off entirely.
Add to that, my love of asparagus… Problem is I don’t eat it very often.
This salad is sure to result in more frequent indulge. The name is misleading as it has many of the ingredients of a ’sushi’ — it’s just not served looking like sushi.
ASPARAGUS SUSHI SALAD
This salad is a great starter or a vegetarian main course on it’s own. This asparagus sushi salad combines the clean earthy flavor of asparagus with:
- Brown rice
- Dark leafy greens
PREP TIME:10 mins
COOK TIME: 80 mins
TOTAL TIME: 1 hour 30 mins
- 1 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 small sweet onion (about ⅓ cup chopped)
- 6-8 large leaves of kale, collard greens and/or chard
- 1 cucumber
- ½ cup teriyaki sauce
- 2 nori sheets
- ½ cup almond slices (optional)
- 1 avocado
- Rinse brown rice and combine with water in a rice cooker. Cook on brown rice setting. (If available.)
- Rinse and prep asparagus. (Peel bottoms if necessary.)
- After rice has been cooking for at least 30 minutes, add asparagus to steamer basket and place in rice cooker for 8-10 minutes. (Try to place and remove steamer basket quickly. Use oven mitts and avoid coming into contact with hot steam.)
- Immediately rinse steamed asparagus with cool water.
- Chop asparagus into 1-2 inch pieces and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add carrots to a food processor fitted with an S blade and pulse until finely chopped. Scrape carrots into the mixing bowl.
- Add onion to food processor, pulse to finely chop and add to mixing bowl.
- Wash dark leafy greens, pat dry, strip stems and discard. Add leaves to food processor, pulse to finely chop and add to mixing bowl.
- Wash cucumber, chop into ½ inch cubes and add to mixing bowl. (Leave skin on.)
- Stir to mix ingredients. When rice is done, add to mixing bowl (1/3 at a time) and stir to mix thoroughly.
- Add teriyaki and stir until mixed.
- Tear nori sheets into strips, and then tear a couple of strips into 1-inch pieces and sprinkle over ingredients in mixing bowl. Stir to mix and then repeat until all of the nori has been added and mixed.
- Add almonds and stir to mix.
- Serve salad cool or at room temperature topped with fresh diced avocado.
NOTE: Cooking the rice and asparagus ahead of time significantly reduces the amount of time it takes to prepare this salad. It could be ready in less than 15 minutes!