“A journey is like marriage.
The certain way to be wrong
is to think you control it.”
– John Steinbeck
Seven days remain before that last doctor’s visit; the one that’s keeping us here. It’s going to be a busy day. As a cardio specialist he evidently doesn’t trust other doctors as he’s doing another echo cardiogram (supposedly more complete) and before I get to his office I’m scheduled for an MRI at the adjoining hospital. Total appointment time from 9 am till 3 pm.
I’m optimistic that there won’t be any surprises that keep us here in Milwaukee. All of the conversations with medical staff have indicated that we’re just establishing a baseline — but I also know better than to make assumptions about matters medical.
We have been looking at routes to Ocala and I think we’re going to avoid most popular I-75 route through Atlanta. I’ve driven I-75 a lot of times and it simply isn’t my favorite route in the world. So, we’re giving serious consideration to a ’nearly-as-short’ route via Birmingham. Now all we need is a decent weather forecast for our travel days.
Several days of rain have kept me from playing around with my new WiFi toys. I’ll probably not get around to installing them until we get settled in Ocala but I finally talked myself into setting up a private network using WiFi Ranger products. I’m excited to get it up and running.
I checked the Verizon coverage map for signal strength near our campground. We’re looking good. I don’t know whether you ever bother checking Cell or Data coverage before committing to new locations but it’s something I’m pretty adamant about doing. I’m such a geek about staying in touch that I really don’t want to be stuck like we were during our stay on the Siuslaw NF with poor coverage. I loved being there for the work, and the setting — but I hated having to deal with signal issues almost all the time.
I was tickled to get an invite from the Forest to the next safety meeting. We aren’t due into the forest that soon, but at least we’re being included! :-)We’ve been in the 50’s during the day lately, and between the 30’s and 40’s most of the recent couple weeks. So seeing the forecast for the same time period in Ocala came as a welcome change.
With luck we’ll get to see some color change on our way South; perhaps the areas we travel through will have had better moisture this summer so that the colors are more brilliant.
We’re getting pumped for the trip! And to get out of Wisconsin. I think we are agreed that the end of October is later in the year than we’d prefer to still be here. Last year was quite warm at this time. This year, not so much. I think we’ll try to move our doctors’ visits as early into September as possible while their calendars are still fairly empty.
Thanks for stopping by, and I’ll talk with you tomorrow.