For all intents and purposes I think my part of the touch ups is done. Today we spent the morning finishing up, which means I put some paint on a couple new walls, touched up the area of plaster repair and now the back hallway looks as sound as it really is. A big part of that was going over our drips and spills with Goof Off. Man, that stuff is strong. Smelling that is. It’s good to use ventilation and such but in the hallway there’s still a lot of stink to be dealt with. A respirator would have been a good idea…. Oh well…..
Why I didn’t do this for ourselves when we moved in, I don’t know. But I didn’t. I guess I really don’t “see” some of these things. But I can understand Michael’s point of view. Potential buyers don’t knowthat the exterior wall has been sound and dry ever since the new gutters were put on …. some 5+ years ago. But the clean walls and absence of cracks should reduce the questions. I guess this is one of those cases there even if nothing is wrong, if you cause someone to raise questions or doubts that are false you can’t just reach out and remove the thought from their brain.
I can’t believe that we did it all with less than 5 gallons of paint — I am beginning to regret never having investigated Hallman Lindsay paints back in the days when we had the apartment building. We used a lot of paint in those days and a paint that coats as well as this would have been a godsend.
Michael says he’ll be over during the weekend to finish up the projects that he has in mind before we re-list. He’s got his hands full; but he’ll get it sorted out I’m sure. He’s a hard worker.
So, let me tell you the saga of Lightroom File previews. My laptop – the only computer I have with us when we are in Journey – only has a 300 GB hard drive. Used to be that was a lot of storage, but my desktop unit has 4 TB of storage and I have been sadly spoiled. I have been able to manage file storage for images with the smaller drive but it hasn’t been very convenient.
I thoughtto myself that I could make better use of Lightroom’s cataloging capabilities so I tried an experiment. Adobe has designed Lightroom so that it will remember hard drives for cataloging purposes in the same way that a card catalog might identify books that might only be available from a sister library, but which are cataloged so that it’s users would know that the book is available somewhere. My plan was to import several other catalogs into the primary one so that I could better keep track of which hard drive I needed to plug in when I wanted archived images.
This “smart” plan worked really well. I imported all the catalogs. I have three external drives connected to my laptop with an additional 2.5 TB of storage. The catalog files were spread out among all four drives and I could see them just as in this screen shot to the left.
But… Then I tried to close down Lightroom. Lightroom does a database test and file optimization routine when it shuts down. I got part of the way through that (aren’t progress meters wonderful) and then a system alert popped up telling me that I was short on storage…. less than 1 GB.
Now that was a shock because when I started the day I had about 115 GB available on my hard drive!
It turns out that between the database file and the image previews file I had burned up 114 GB of storage mostly in image previews.
Of course I wasn’t sure what had happened at first, so it took a couple hours of searching, and a preventive defragging of my hard drive — I didn’t really need to do that — but it’s always good to start out with basics. I since have divided my catalog back into a series of smaller catalogs and I’ll just get used to dealing with the images in several categorization systems.
As an added benefit I learned something about iPhoto that I didn’t know. I have had a longstanding “thing” about iPhoto. It’s one of Apple’s built in applications, it makes sharing simple, does some image adjustments easily enough, but it’s a lot more difficult to use than Lightroom.
While I was trying to figure out where all my storage went, I decided to do a little experiment to compare the iPhoto and Lightroom file structures. It turns out that a catalog containing only 255 images takes more than twice the space in iPhoto than it does in Lightroom. With all the images I keep, that’s a lot of storage to lose.